I r r e g u l a r
D i s p a t c h e s from the B o r d e r l a n d s -

Those secret, shifting places where horses and humans meet.


Wednesday, March 17, 2010


In the spirit of Saint Patrick's Day
and all things Irish, I'd like to say something about LUCK.

As an artisan creating equine-inspired jewelry, horse shoes often appear in my work. Folks consider them lucky - at least when they are "pointing up". But they never fail to tell me they are "bad luck" if they are pointing down.

Now, my understanding is that the luck conferred by horse shoes has to do with the fact that traditionally they are made of iron, and according to folklore in many cultures, iron is protective against ill-intentioned magical powers.

So - let me offer a less dramatic, but much more balanced and holistic view of this charming ancient symbol:
I say that horse shoes are good luck pointing up OR down. Because when they point up, they represent a vessel catching any good fortune that might rain down upon us. When they point down, they again represent a vessel, this time overturned to share any good fortune within.
So you see, it can be seen as a flow of positive energy, from receiving to giving, in a never-ending cycle.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective...I'm so happy I read your posting this morning. It's a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words. I am SO happy that you and your girls are on this horse-journey with me!

    ReplyDelete