I r r e g u l a r
D i s p a t c h e s from the B o r d e r l a n d s -

Those secret, shifting places where horses and humans meet.


Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hope is a Horse

Some days you venture out into the world simply because business calls. But when you show up, it is life in all its serendipitous glory that is waiting for you. 


Today I had my HORSE-TRIBE booth at an area stable for an open house event. But selling jewelry was just a small part of the journey...


I met a little orphaned foal today, the one I wrote about in a recent blog entry. She is healthy-looking and beautiful, all long legs and long ears and wavy tufts of fur... all dusky-colored and a single star on her forehead, she is the very picture of hope and trust. 


And I had a casual conversation that took an unexpected and delightful turn - I was given the happy ending to a story that I thought was forever going to haunt me. 


A couple years ago a friend called and said she saw a horse loose in an open area next to a big Costco parking lot. She pulled over, but without a halter and rope (doesn't everyone carry one in their vehicle?) she was not able to help. She communed briefly with the horse, saying it was a lovely, gentle being. 


The cops came - without a rope and halter - and they left again saying they'd contacted animal control...  and my friend had to leave the horse. She did so with a heavy heart. Many times we have wondered aloud about the fate of this poor creature. Today I met the woman whose kids brought a rope and halter after spotting the horse. And the horse is living happily with their family. The person who dumped the horse was caught and prosecuted.    


Some days it seems like hope is a horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment